Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Parent resolutions

Radio Commentary




A new year is the traditional time for making resolutions. 
Family Circle Magazine once printed resolutions for parents, and I’m going to repeat them because they help focus our efforts as a new year is about to begin:
            I will always love my children for who they are — not who I want them to be. 
            I will give my child space to grow, to dream, to succeed, and even to fail. Without that space, no growth can occur.
            I will create a loving home environment, regardless of what effort it takes at a given time.
            When discipline is necessary, I will let my child know that I disapprove of what he does, not who he is. 
            I will set limits and help my children find security in the knowledge of what is expected of them. They will not have to guess what is right or wrong.
            I will make time for all my children and cherish our moments together. I will not burden my children with emotions and problems they are not equipped to deal with.
            I will encourage my children to experience the world and all its possibilities, taking pains to leave them careful but not fearful.
I will try to be the kind of person I want my children to be: loving, fair-minded, giving, and hopeful.
            These are good resolutions for all of us, don’t you think?