What do parents need to know about high school?
Beyond the school calendar and what classes your students will take, you should also be familiar with graduation requirements and which classes prepare students for college and careers.
It’s important for parents to understand the school’s academic and social standards.
Here are some tips for staying informed:
- Obtain and read everything the school offers. Gather newsletters, handbooks, notices and course descriptions, most of which is also available on the school’s website. Read it all.
- Get to know the staff. Know everyone from the principal and school support personnel to the teachers. Make an appointment for face-to-face meetings. Plan your questions before you arrive.
- Talk to other parents. Information about special programs, scholarships and required classes can all come from other parents. It is especially helpful to talk to parents who have older children.
- Ask questions. That’s your right. And the staff at local high schools are eager to answer all your questions.
- Finally, check homework. You can get a lot of information by seeing activities and assignments.